Indian telecom services giant BhartiAirtel to invest $673 million in its Nxtra data centers
Indian multinational telecommunications giant BhartiAirtel to invest 50 billion rupees ($673 million) in expanding data centers under its Nxtra group to meet customer demand in and around India.
Airtel’s chief executive, Ajay Chitkara, said that the Nxtra unit will make the $673 million investment by 2025 and plans to build a data center economy in 80 Indian cities. He also said that the investment would triple Nxtra’s installed capacity to more than 400 MW. Nxtra at present runs 10 extensive and 120 smaller data processing facilities across India. The expansion is part of a strategy by telecommunication companies to add new revenue streams to their business and appeal to enterprise clients who typically offer higher profit margins.
Airtel’s domestic rival Jio, owned by Indian billionaire Mukesh Ambani, partnered with Microsoft in 2019 to build data centers across India.An affiliate of Carlyle, a U.S-based private equity firm, bought 25% of Nctra last year, while BhartiAirtel owns the remaining 75%. Airtel also said that they would increase usage of green energy to run their Nxtra data centers, aiming to source as much as 50% of their power from renewable sources.
Chinese auto giant Geely launches Homtruck, its rival to Tesla's Semi
Diageo to build a $75 million distillery to produce its first Chinese single-malt whisky
ProLogium Technology secures $326 million to expand global EV battery production capability
Indian online insurer Acko raises $255 million in expansion drive, hits unicorn status
Agritech startup DeHaat raises $115 million in Series D round of funding
© 2021 CIO Bulletin. All rights reserved.